Dunblane’s Burgh Chambers is a late Victorian, listed building situated across from the Dunblane Cathedral.
It was built by Dunblane’s Police Commissioners and opened in 1901 as the HQ of the newly created Dunblane Town Council, also housing the fire engine of the volunteer Fire Service.
Volunteer fire service
Prior to the Covid lockdown in 2020, the building accommodated Stirling Council’s Local Office and Registration Service. Most of the remainder of the building was either unused or underused. As things stand, we are waiting for news from the Council about when staff will return.
In 2014, the Council proposed moving services out of the building with a view to selling it, however, following a robust community response, this plan was dropped.
In 2018 the Dunblane Community Council and Dunblane Development Trust agreed to work together to ensure that the Burgh Chambers remains a community asset. This led to the establishment of the Burgh Chambers Development Group.
The group is working towards the long-term goal of transferring ownership of the building from the Council to the community. To make a request, the group will have to say what they want to do and how having the asset will be good for their community.
As linked initiative, Creative Dunblane has been established by members of the Burgh Chambers Development Group, to enable the community to start using spaces in the Burgh Chambers now rather than waiting for the asset transfer to complete.
The first activity of Creative Dunblane has been to establish a Digital Makerspace, while we consult with the community about our next steps. If you’d like to help out get in touch.